Monday, September 12, 2011

Heath Ryan Clinic


For the first time ever, Playland Farm hosted a clinic with Olympian Heath Ryan.  Heath was at the farm on August 21 – 22, and it seems crazy that three weeks have already passed by since his departure!  He filled the arena with his boisterous voice shouting out encouraging words such as: “Come on, that a girl!,” “Work him!,” and “You can do better!”  The whole barn has been different since then, as everyone has been inspired to pursue greatness!

Heath particularly loved Playland Farm’s homebreds, with Tammy quickly catching his eye. (As if Tammy is used to anything different!)  He had watched me warm her up, and as my lesson began, I told him, “She is at first level.”  He politely asked to have a “go on her,” to which I dismounted and handed over the reins.  Soon I was watching my “first level” mare doing flying lead changes, collected canter, walk pirouettes, half steps, the “embryonic” (another “Heathism”) stages of canter pirouettes, trot and canter half passes! Then Heath informed me in his encouraging raw way, “You don’t know what you have! This mare is incredible and has real potential! And you need to step it up!” So as I stood there in disbelief, I made myself a goal … to step it up!


So with that in mind, Tammy and I will be getting out and about more often to pursue her dressage career. Expect to see us this weekend at Loch Moy’s dressage show!

No comments:

Post a Comment